Actually, since this is a Rails project, install yaz and Ruby/ZOOM
(http://ruby-zoom.rubyforge.org/).  An even /better/ idea (since
Z39.50 is the road to madness) is to install:  yaz, yaz++ and
yazproxy, then use Ed Summers' Sruby (http://www.textualize.com/sruby
-- although Ed's site seems to be down right now).

Or, if you go the route that David suggests (and, although I cannot
speak for III, screen scraping Voyager's web opac leads to session
hell over time), you might want to use hpricot
(http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/hpricot/).  It's fast and efficient
and could easily recreate a Dappit like interface.

-Ross.