We are hiring a unix sysadmin, at Johns Hopkins University Sheridan
Libraries in Baltimore MD. We'd really like to find somebody good (who
wouldn't?), so please feel free to share this with anyone you know who
might be interested.  We currently run RedHat and Solaris both (a piece
of information a potential applicant may be interested in, but which I
don't think is actually in the posting!).

https://hrnt.jhu.edu/jhujobs/job_view.cfm?view_req_id=27602

Requisition #:  27602
Job Title:      Systems Engineer

General Description:
                Position
will be responsible for the installation, maintenance, and security of
all UNIX systems and peripheral devices. Responsibilities include, but
are not limited to: Operating system installation, upgrades, and
patches; Installing, upgrading, and maintaining server hardware and
peripheral devices (disk arrays, tape libraries); Maintaining storage
area network switches and devices; Disk array/storage design,
formatting, and allocation; Monitoring health of servers and services;
System user management (create, delete, update users on the systems);
Management of system backup and restoration; Writing and maintaining
Unix shell scripts as needed; Performance tuning; and Installing and

Position will also be responsible for the installation, management,
maintenance, and security of infrastructure services and software, which
includes DNS, DHCP, SMTP, SSH, FTP, and SMB services and software;
Host-based firewall technology such as IPTables or IPF; Backup system
software and services; Web servers; Servlet containers; J2EE containers;
MySQL and PostgreSQL database software; and managing and maintaining
license agreements for infrastructure software. Position serves as the
point of contact for software and hardware vendors and vendor's
technical support staff; actively participates in the analysis and
planning of Unix systems and services, including recommending server
configurations and purchasing; and serves as the liaison to the
University IT community on issues related to Unix and systems
administration. Position will participate in the Systems Office 24x7
on-call plan – includes being available by cell phone and participating
in the on-call pager rotation.

The position is located at service-oriented, team-based and
result-driven Library Systems department. The position will liaise with
Johns Hopkins central IT (IT @ JH) as primary point of contact related
to UNIX server administration issues.

The Sheridan Libraries encompass the Milton S. Eisenhower Library and
its collections at the John Work Garrett Library, the George Peabody
Library, and the Albert D. Hutzler Undergraduate Reading Room. Its
primary constituency is the students and faculty in the schools of Arts
& Sciences, Engineering, and Professional Studies in Business &
Education. The Sheridan Libraries are strongly committed to diversity. A
strategic goal of the Libraries is to ‘work toward achieving diversity
when recruiting new and promoting existing staff. The Libraries prize
initiative, creativity, professionalism, and teamwork.

Qualifications:         Bachelor’s degree and 3 – 5 years experience as a UNIX
systems administrator (additional directly related experience may
substitute for degree requirement); working knowledge of and experience
with shell scripting and programming, LAN protocols and TCP/IP, and
host-based firewalls. Must have experience administering any or all of:
Web server software, DNS and DHCP server software, Database server
software, Samba. Requires the ability to clearly document systems and
procedures; have strong oral and written communication skills; and the
ability to work independently.

Preferred Qualifications:       Experience with striping and mirroring disk
storage with VERITAS Volume Manager, experience with Solaris (SPARC/x86)
and RedHat/Fedora Core Linux; Experience with storage area network
switches and technology; Specific experience administering any or all
of: - NFS, OpenSSH, WU-FTPD, MySQL and/or PostgreSQL, ISC DHCP and/or
BIND, LDAP (OpenLDAP or other LDAP software), Apache Tomcat Servlet
container or Jboss J2EE container; Experience administering Cisco
network switches; Familiarity with - XML, HTML, PHP.

maintaining small to mid-range UPS equipment.

--
Jonathan Rochkind
Sr. Programmer/Analyst