Jeremy Frumkin wrote:
> Ok, so this is a good example for where Iım failing to see the advantage to
> OpenID over the current local authentication provided by a university /
> library.
As Nathan explains, to identify your link resolver(s) to a particular
database (or 'source') you are using.  How can a foreign third party
(vended or free) database use your local authentication login? Instead,
what they use currently is IP address.

Which is broken in several ways anyone who has worked with
IP-address-as-identity, common for authentication in our current
environments, has realized. IP address is not identity. Several people
(with different institutional affiliation/licenses held/link resolvers
used) may share an IP address, and one person may have several IP
addresses. IP address to people is a many to many mapping, and thus is
horribly broken for identification and authentication, and leads to all
sorts of problems many of us must continually try to work around, not
very succesfully.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind