Nathan,

You may want to consider some alternatives to Z39.50.

As Marc and Godmar have pointed out, you can set the record format to 'OPAC' in order to get holdings information in a Z39.50 search, but the III Z39.50 server has some key limitations.

First, the III Z39 Server only allows you to search on a handful of indexes.  If you have an exported list of records, you will likely want to be able to check item status using the bibliographic record id number, since that is the unique identifier for each record.  But the III Z39 server does not support a search for bib id.  That forces you to look-up the record using one of the supported indexes, which may not be sufficiently unique for your purposes.

Second, the III Z39 Server does not return results in the same fashion as the web interface.  In particular, any type of keyword search with a boolean operator behaves erratically, returning different results then you would expect.  That may not be crucial for your project, but it is something that has plagued our metasearch initiative here in the CSU for years.

Some alternatives to consider:

(1) The Innovative catalog does allow you to get an XML representation of any bibliographic or item record using the 'xrecord' parameter, like this:

  your.catalog.edu/xrecord=b1235478a

You don't need to have XML Server for this, it is installed by default.  However, it does not attach item records to a request for a bib record.  So the only way to check the status of your holdings is to know in advance the item record id numbers for each bib record, and query each in turn.

(2) Screen scraping.  I know, I know, you'll say that's ugly.  It is, but honestly it is the approach we are leaning towards here for a number of things.

Here is an example using some PHP code I have.

http://walkertr.csusm.edu/scrape/test.htm

Type in the server address and a bib record number.  It will return the record to you in MARC-XML with the item records attached as a series of 852 fields (you could change that behavior if you need to).

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University