While OpenID has potential within certain contexts, I have difficulty seeing
it being quickly adopted by libraries, universities, or other entities that
need to relate real identities to an OpenID. OpenID doesnąt do trust; it
explicitly says it is not a trust system. For libraries to adopt OpenID,
they need to somehow link OpenID to a trust system. It isnąt clear to me
that there is enough added value to libraries at this point to adopt OpenID
­ of course, Iąd be glad to buy someone a beer if they provide a use case to
convince me otherwise ;-)

-- jaf

On 3/22/07 8:37 PM, "Ross Singer" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 3/22/07, Don McMorris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Ryan's message (I guess seeing "academia") made me think of Athens,
>> > which made me further think "Hey, Subscription Databases are just
>> > ITCHING for OpenID!".  I mean, come on... The methods we have for
>> > database authentication aren't working well...
>

> Well, naturally, academia has thought of this and overengineered it to
> death:
>
>  http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/
>
> which is why it's taken 7years so far and there is still very few
> implementations.
>
> -Ross.

Jeremy Frumkin
The Gray Chair for Innovative Library Services
121 The Valley Library, Oregon State University
Corvallis OR 97331-4501

541.737.9928
541.737.3453 (Fax)
541.230.4483 (Cell)
" Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. "
- Emerson