I have been experimenting with MyLibrary and patrons.

The MyLibrary API supports to idea of a patron -- akin to the "patron
module" of our ILS's. Using the "patron module" I can get a dump of
all the students, faculty, and staff of the University and fill
MyLibrary with it classifying the patrons along the way. At the same
time I was able to get a list of University classes and who is
enrolled in them. Likewise, I dumped this content into MyLibrary.
Finally, I "cataloged" MyLibrary information resources using
University class headings. Now, since I know what students are taking
what class and what classes are associated with what information
resources, I can calculate what students should be interested in what
information resources.

To see this in action, try the following URL:

   http://mylibrary.library.nd.edu/your-page/

There you will be able to log on as any one of a number of fake
University faculty members (Frank Lloyd Wright, Thomas Aquinas, etc.)
and get a list of:

   1. recommended classes based on their discipline
   2. recommended resources based on what class they are in
   3. books they have checked out

The next step will be to apply access control to the system and
syndicate the content to various venues across campus.

Fun with MyLibrary.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame