> A question for the Talis people on the list: you don't make
> information from Talis Source, your union catalogue, openly
> available, as I read it.
> Am I correct in understanding that only libraries that
> contribute to it can read from it?  If so, do you have any
> plans to open it up?

You are half right William.

Records openly contributed to the Talis Platform are searchable through
a user interface at http://cenote.talis.com

The records [Dublin Core coded in an RSS 1.0 result set] that underpin
Cenote are available via API calls to the underlying Platform Store
(codename Bigfoot) - the API is located here:
http://api.talis.com/bf/stores/ukbib/items.

Documentation for the Bigfoot Store API can be found here:
http://www.talis.com/tdn/platform/reference/api/bigfoot
With a user guide here: http://www.talis.com/tdn/platform/user/bigfoot

Without reading any of that you can see the results of the query for
your ISBN here:
http://api.talis.com/bf/stores/ukbib/items?query=isbn%3A0195024028&max=1
0&offset=0&xsl=&content-type=

What you don't get (today) is the full Marc record back  - the underling
reason for this being is that we are addressing the tricky problem of
the assertion of ownership of Marc records and the data they contain as
you may have noticed from my recent blog post
http://blogs.talis.com/panlibus/archives/2007/04/when_is_data_no.php.

If this data is helpful and you had a stream of ISBNs to grab bib data
for, it could be worth considering the augmentation API that is
standardly available for a Bigfoot Store.
(http://api.talis.com/bf/stores/ukbib/services/augment) - there is an
example of augmenting a set if ISBNs (in this case output from xISBN)
with bib data towards the end of the initial tour document
[http://www.talis.com/tdn/platform/user/bigfoot/tour]

If you have any questions queries etc. let me know.

Richard 'Talis person' Wallis

The very latest from Talis
read the latest news at www.talis.com/news
listen to our podcasts www.talis.com/podcasts
see us at these events www.talis.com/events
join the discussion here www.talis.com/forums
join our developer community www.talis.com/tdn
and read our blogs www.talis.com/blogs

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.