We have the older Sirsi DRA Classic system here at SDPL, and while we are migrating soon to Unicorn from SirsiDynix, we already can see something we're interested in doing that seems "beyond" Unicorn's capabilities.

Has anyone seen or heard of coding/scripts or hacks/workarounds to provide eCards (temporary library cards) via Unicorn? We'd like to issue temporary cards via the Unicorn interface or our public Web site for "immediate" access to the databases, say good for 30-60 days, and, later, they can be upgraded at any of our library to a full-access library card. As an aside, we'll have the hosted version of Unicorn, so we won't have the system/files on any local servers we can access.

We've noticed with interest that some Horizon systems, III, CARL, etc. can do this, but thus far, I can't see anyone with Unicorn that has done this. Any type of library (academic or public) is a good source, if you've heard of something. Please drop me a note via e-mail, or post here.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

P. Michael McCulley, Librarian II / Information & Technology
San Diego Public Library, 820 E Street, CA 92101-4806
Phone: 619-238-6678 / FAX: 619-238-6639
E-mail: [log in to unmask]