I've had sight of this and generated a dictionary from the LoC bib data. It's very fast and the suggestions are excellent, including multi-word corrections.

rob

Here's Martin's mail with the details - but I encourage you to join the group
----
But I'm sure you'd like to get your hands on it, so I packaged up a convenient way to quickly make a dictionary from your own data files, and run your own queries through it.

Grab this jar: http://groups.google.com/group/spelt/web/spelt.jar

Everything is included (Spelt and Lucene). The only requirement is that you have JDK 1.5 (5.0) -- it won't work with JDK 1.4.

The utility includes a fast-but-dumb text ripper that does a deep directory scan for textual files, and pulls out all the words. It should be able to handle XML, HTML, and plain text files (provided they're in UTF-8 encoding.) You can build a dictionary this way:

   java -jar spelt.jar -build <your-src-dir> speltDictDir

If you run it on a big data set, I'd suggest giving it more RAM, like this:

   java -Xmx750m -jar spelt.jar -build <your-src-dir> speltDictDir

You can run a set of test queries (e.g, http://groups.google.com/group/spelt/web/test.list) like this:

   java -jar spelt.jar -test speltDictDir test.list

Finally, if you are curious about how this compares with the exisitng code in Lucene, you can add the -old flag just before "-build" or "-test". Warning: the build process is about 35 times slower on my machine, so I'd suggest doing this on a small data set.