Thanks Andrew, I am in fact aware of that publication, and it is very
useful.

My understanding, from a number of sources, including comments Thom
Hickey (I think that was Thom? I actually missed his name in my notes)
made at the FRBR Implementer's Group meeting at ALA Midwinter, is that
the algorithm current OCLC products use for work-set grouping is not
limited to that published algorithm, but ends up being quite a bit more
sophisticated than that. Thom (I think!) also said that different OCLC
products used slightly different algorithms at the moment (for instance,
FictionFinder vs. xISBN).  I asked at the Implementor's Group meeting in
December if OCLC planned to share the more sophisticated algorithms and
tweaks currently being used, and he said he wasn't sure.

It is of course OCLC's right as an organization to decide what
information to share and when.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind