For Immediate Release:  May 17, 2007
Contact: Barrie Howard, [log in to unmask], 202-939-4769

ICPSR Joins the Digital Library Federation

Washington, D.C.—The Digital Library Federation (DLF) announced today that the Interuniversity Consortium for Political and Social Research (ISPSR) has joined DLF as an allied member. ISPSR is an organization of member institutions working together to acquire and preserve, provide access to, and promote the effective use of social science data.

DLF currently has 39 members including four allies: the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI), the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC), the Los Alamos National Laboratory Research Library, and the OCLC Online Computer Library Center (OCLC).

"I am delighted that ICPSR has accepted our invitation to join," said Peter Brantley, executive director of DLF. "Our collective interests and experience in making available diverse collections of social science data, long-term digital preservation, and the promotion of scholarship and instruction is a wonderful opportunity for both organizations as we explore new architectures for collaboration."

“We are very pleased to have been approved as an Allied Member of DLF,” said  Myron Gutmann, director of ICPSR.  “As we transform from a social science data archive to a social science digital archive that encompasses a broadening range of digital content, we look forward to having access to the wealth of digital asset expertise that DLF membership represents.  This membership offers the potential for sharing information, forging new partnerships and collaborations, and exploring less familiar digital arenas.  We will reciprocate for these benefits by sharing our expertise in the areas of social science research and data stewardship, by seeking ways to extend our instructional programs to DLF members, and participating in the development of good practice and guidance for digital content of all kinds.”

The Digital Library Federation, founded in 1995, is a partnership organization of 39 academic libraries and related organizations that are pioneering the use of electronic-information technologies to extend their collections and services. DLF provides leadership for libraries by identifying standards and best practices for digital collections and network access, coordinating research and development in the libraries’ use of technology, and fostering projects and services that libraries need but cannot develop individually.