Hi Jonathan,

It *is* confusing, I know, but here's the deal: our old agreement with
libraries is for a query process that accesses the complete crossref
metatdata database, but only on a query-by-query database. The new "web
services" agreement for libraries (yet to be finalized) covers a service
that delivers all or part of the metadata in the form of complete
records, for those publishers who wish to participate. We wanted a new
service that would allow users to re-purpose and display the metadata
under certain conditions, and our membership agreed to this as long as
they could decide to exclude their data from select partnerships if they
so desired.

So the RFP follows the latter model, as a free deal for the winning
proposal. Libraries currently do not pay for an account on the CrossRef,
and the new service will likely have an annual fee associated with it.
We are using the RFP in part to see how libraries might want to
re-purpose the metadata.

Hope that helps,
Amy