Having written a pretty decent citation parser 10 years ago (in
Applescript!), and having seen a lot of people take whacks at the
problem, I have to say that it's pretty easy to write one that works
on 70-80% of citations, particularly if you stick to one scholarly
subject area. On the other hand, it's really quite hard to write a
citation parser that gets better than 90 % of citations for a general
corpus .

The main problem is that scholarly works are written by creative,
ingenious people. When applied to citations, creativity and ingenuity
are disasters for automated parsers.

Parsers working on the computer science literature have come the
farthest, mostly because the convention in computer science
literature is to always include the article title. The most
impressive thing to me about Google Scholar when it was first
released was to see how far they had taken the citation parsing
outside of the computer science literature. Still, they have a ways
to go; most of the progress they've made seems to be by cheating (
i.e. backing the citation out of the linking, which means they're
just piggybacking on the work done by Inera and others).

(Hint: one of the very best performing open source citation parsers
was written (in perl) by Steve Lawrence, who was at NEC at the time,
as part of ResearchIndex AKA CiteSeer. It was released as pseudo open
source, but not so easy to separate. It relied heavily on the
availability of the article title. Steve has been at Google for a
while. Steve apparently wasn't involved in Scholar, but you have to
assume he and Anurag  did a fair amount of comparing notes.)

Anyway, almost all parsers rely on a set of heuristics. I have not
seen any parsers that do a good job of managing their heuristics in a
scaleable way. A successful open-source attack on this problem would
have the following characteristics:
1. able to efficiently handle and manage large numbers of parsing and
scoring heuristics
2. easy for contributors to add parsing and scoring heuristics
3. able to use contextual information (is the citation from a physics
article or from a history monograph?) in application  and scoring of
heuristics

Eric

--

Eric Hellman, Director                            OCLC Openly
Informatics Division