Hi Jonathan,

There is a PERL module by Mike Jewell which was written for this purpose:
http://search.cpan.org/~mjewell/Biblio-Citation-Parser-1.10/

I am not using the code, so I can't comment on how well it may work for
your purpose, but it's probably worth a look.

-- Alberto

> On 7/17/07, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Does anyone have any decent open source code to parse a citation? I'm
>> talking about a completely narrative citation like someone might
>> cut-and-paste from a bibliography or web page. I realize there are a
>> number of differnet formats this could be in (not to mention the human
>> error problems that always occur from human entered free text)--but
>> thinking about it, I suspect that with some work you could get something
>> that worked reasonably well (if not perfect). So I'm wondering if anyone
>> has donethis work.
>>
>> (One of the commerical legal product--I forget if it's Lexis or
>> West--does this with legal citations--a more limited domain--quite
>> well.  I'm not sure if any of the commerical bibliographic citation
>> management software does this?)
>>
>> The goal, as you can probably guess, is a box that the user can paste a
>> citation into; make an OpenURL out of it; show the user where to get the
>> citation.  I'm pretty confident something useful could be created here,
>> with enough time put into it. But saldy, it's probably more time than
>> anyone has individually. Unless someone's done it already?
>>
>> Hopefully,
>> Jonathan

Dr. Alberto Accomazzi                  aaccomazzi(at)cfa harvard edu
NASA Astrophysics Data System                        ads.harvard.edu
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics      www.cfa.harvard.edu
60 Garden St, MS 67, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA