We've looked at this pretty extensively, and we're pretty certain
there's nothing downloadable that does a "good enough" job. However,
it's by no means impossible -- it seems to be undergrad thesis-level
work in Singapore:

http://wing.comp.nus.edu.sg/parsCit/

There used to be a paper describing this approach (essentially
treating citation parsing as a natural language processing task and
using a maximum entropy algorithm) online... the page even cites
it... but it seems to be gone now.

FWIW, it didn't look too difficult.

-Nate