---- Original message ----
>Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:46:48 -0400
>From: Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Code4Lib listserv archives [munging]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>On Jul 18, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
>
>>> I say 'yes', as long as the archives don't expose email addresses
>>> in a
>>> format suitable for harvesting.
>>
>> Hmmm... I do not know whether or not the mailing list software
>> (LISTSERV) supports the munging of addresses, nor do I know whether
>> or not the archives will even be crawlable by robots. I will check.
>

>According to our technical support folks here at Notre Dame, the
>mailing list archives are not suppose to be crawlable by things like
>Google, etc, but just as importantly, according to the same people,
>it is not possible to munge email addresses in archives so they are
>not harvestable/readable.

it is not possible to do that?  That's odd, I thought ListServ let you do that option.  Of course, finding it in their documentation may not be an easy exercise.

I guess if no email munging is there I'm a little torn.  On one hand, I'm not sure if having my email address a little less visible will help much with spam.

I guess my vote is still yes.  Meanwhile I guess I'll start working with filters ;).

Jon Gorman