You could use either the PEAR HTTP_Request package, or the built-in
fopen/fread commands, which can make http calls in addition to
opening local files. The easiest way, though, in my opinion, is
file_get_contents, which automatically dumps the response into a
String object. And it's fast, apparently:

http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.file-get-contents.php

http://pear.php.net/package/HTTP_Request
http://us.php.net/fopen
http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.fread.php