I absolutely agree that reading articles online from a database is
nothing like reading a magazine or a journal. But why must the
experience be "atomized"? For example, I find reading The New York
Review of Books online to be very nearly as satisfying as reading it
in print was, and plus I don't have to recycle it.

Online databases are not currently configured to simulate a journal's
website but, as we used to say in the embedded systems world, SMOP.
It's just a Simple Matter Of Programming.

--
Sharon M. Foster, B.S., J.D., 0.5 * (MLS)
F/OSS Evangelist

Any opinions expressed here are entirely my own.