I agree with you that each format is better some purposes, worse for
others. But rising postal rates may make the ultimate decision. And an
online journal can simulate the print experience better than a print
journal can simulate the online experience (if you just ignore the
hyperlinks).

I love paper just as much as anyone, as you would know if you could
see my abode...maybe even more, as I used to do a lot of drawing and
calligraphy. But I saw the Sony eBook for the first time a few months
ago, and if the price weren't so high, I might have bought. I'll wait
for 2.0.

Someday there will be a generation of college students--maybe even
high school students--who will be issued a future version of the eBook
at the beginning of their school career, and each semester they'll get
all their fully searchable textbooks loaded on it wirelessly.
Professionals will receive their journals the same way. Meanwhile, all
of my recommended Digital Libraries textbooks are hardcopy, every
single one of them.

--
Sharon M. Foster
[affiliations omitted]

Any opinions expressed here are entirely my own.