Completely.  I just imported all of the code to the Sourceforge SVN Server.  It is now completely in the hands of the community.  Our goals with open-sourcing the code is to gain support and help from other libraries to help in the making of a high quality "resource discovery system".  While Villanova University is completely committed to this software, other universities I would hope will too.  Together we can collaborate in the development and functionality.  We already see this with applications such as DSpace.

> 2. http://www.vufind.org/demo/Record/56179 has serious problems in its
> "similar items" section. :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah :)  We will get it better.  This still needs some tweaking.  In some cases it works really well, but with other cases it works really poorly.

> 3. If you scroll down a list of things and then do something that
> requires a login, only the top part of the page that's not in view has
> the action. The user sees nothing, and nothing happens.

I noticed this yesterday afternoon as well.  I think that ajax-y login was one of the last features to be developed.  We still have a bit of work to do on the ajax UI stuff.

> Apart from that, great stuff and, if you accept such, I'd love to
> participate in ways that I can.

Please do!  I have also setup 2 mailing lists on sourceforge (Sorry Gabe).  One for general use and one to manage patches, etc.

Thanks
Andrew