I'm one of those former software engineers, and I think there is a
need for a repository of library-specific applications. For example,
I've been thinking I'd like to develop a web-based personnel
scheduling program. Library scheduling has some unique problems, as
I'm sure you all know. There are some applications available, but they
all cost money.(If I can earn some extra credit in Library Management
class next semester, so much the better. ;-)) An customizable events
calendar suitable for insertion into a library website is another task
that interests me.

Harvesting metadata and writing our own ILSs is the sexy stuff, but
I'm sure there are a lot of little tasks that could be made easier
with a judicious application of software.

--
Sharon M. Foster, B.S., J.D., 0.58 * (MLS)
F/OSS Evangelist

Any opinions expressed here are entirely my own.