At Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:25:58 -0400,
Gabriel Farrell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In #code4lib today we discussed for a bit the possibility of setting up
> something on code4lib.org for code hosting.  The project that spurred
> the discussion is Ed Summer's pymarc.  The following is what I would
> like to see:
>
> * projects live at code.code4lib.org, so pymarc, for example, would be
>   at code.code4lib.org/pymarc
> * svn for version control
> * trac interface for each
> * hosted at OSU with the rest of code4lib.org, for now

What will this offer that sf.net, codehaus.org, nongnu.org,
savannah.gnu.org, code.google.com, gna.org, belios.de, etc. don’t? Why
not simply link to
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_hosting_facilities>
and let people decide which they prefer?

Other people mentioned the sharing of code snippets; a wiki works best
for sharing code snippets, examples, & single file source. See
<http://emacswiki.org/> for a lively example.

best,
Erik Hetzner