On Sep 26, 2007, at 2:35 PM, K.G. Schneider wrote:

> (Interesting uses of xISBN, WorldCat registry search/detail, or the
> OpenURL Gateway also welcome, but not as central.)

While not a production service, nor as interesting as a LibX
extension, I have written an application exploiting XISBN (as well as
thingISBN) called "Send it to me":

   http://dewey.library.nd.edu/hacks/send/

Given an ISBN number, the system will try to identify your book from
the local library catalog. If found it will return meager
bibliographic information and allow you to have the book sent to you
(but not really). If the ISBN number is not found, then it will use
XISBN (and thingISBN) to find similar books and allow you to have
them sent to you instead (but not really). The purpose of the
application is to prototype a simple document delivery service.

It is a fun hack, but it often fails because the intermediary Web
Services do not return as expected. Put another way, the program
could use some error checking. (Pssst. It uses MyLibrary to keep
track of patron information.)

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame