Karen,
We recently launched an application that provides a single user
interface for requesting returnable items from our 4 shared resource
systems.  We use the WorldCat search box as our starting point.
Instead of passing the OpenURL from WorldCat directly to our link
resolver, we intercept it and use the ISBN to 1) do a look-up in our
catalog (we redirect if a circulating copy is available), 2) query our
III INNReach catalog, 3) query two Sirsi-Dynix URSA consortium
catalogs, and 4) default to our ILLiad system if the request can't be
placed in one of the direct borrow systems. Instead of having to
navigate different proprietary systems, each with its own search
interface and login method, the user now searches once in WorldCat,
authenticates once, and our application goes to work behind the
scenes.

The public description of the system is at:
http://dl.lib.brown.edu/libweb/services/easyBorrow.php

We're in the process of creating a site with technical details and
code. The architecture is quite modular and webservice based and could
be adapted/expanded by others. (We're currently using java, python,
and php.)

Two of our project team members will be signing up for
"lightning/5-minute madness" talks at the upcoming Access (Birkin
Diana) and LITA (Bonnie Buzzell) conferences.

Jean Rainwater
Co-leader, Integrated Technology Services
Brown University Library
401.863.9031