So if I actually want "the periodical with this ISSN assigned", and not
"a record that happens to exist for a article in this periodical"... is
there anything I can do?

Would that ISSN assigned to a record that's really for an article not
for a title be considered bad data? Are you supposed to have an ISSN on
such a record?

Jonathan