Yes, some do move between branches. When I worked at Houston Public only
central a few branches were open on Sunday. Staff from any of the
branches could work a Sunday shift at one of those open sites.

Sometimes a branch will close for a time due to a disaster or
renovations and the staff will be assigned to another site.

I'd guess in some very small branches if a couple of folks called in
sick, someone from another branch would have to cover. I know that
happened at Stride-Rite shoe stores I once worked in. Not something you
can schedule, but then the schedule would need to be changed quickly.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
Lunar and Planetary Institute
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/library/whats_new.shtml