the DLF and the institute for the future of the book are set to
commence a series of meetings to discuss the really modern
library.  below a request for feedback on our preliminary
question set -

http://www.futureofthebook.org/blog/archives/2007/10/the_really_modern_libra
ry.html

"We are in the midst of a historic "upload," a frenetic rush to transfer
the vast wealth of analog culture to the digital domain. Mass digitization
 of print, images, sound and film/video proceeds apace through the
efforts of actors public and private, and yet it is still barely understood
 how the media of the past ought to be preserved, presented and
 interconnected for the future. How might we bring the records of our
 culture with us in ways that respect the originals but also take
advantage of new media technologies to enhance and reinvent them?

"Our aim with the Really Modern Library project is not to build a
physical or even a virtual library, but to stimulate new thinking about
mass digitization and, through the generation of inspiring new designs,
 interfaces and conceptual models, to spur innovation in publishing,
media, libraries, academia and the arts."