I think it's worthwhile making a distinction between an open API and a
closed one. That is, most product APIs require you to have purchased the
product to gain access. So I don't see an API as undercutting a market, but
rather increasing the potential market space to include some who are only
interested in API access.

However, there may be a question of development resources and my guess (not
being close to it) is that the development resources for WorldCat Local are
probably focused on industrializing what is admittedly still a very new
product. At least, that's what I would do. None of this precludes the
opportunity to eventually offer API access to WorldCat Local customers in
addition to "native" access.
Roy