If you're looking for pure Java then the only one I've managed to
find is JZ Kit (http://developer.k-int.com/projects.php?page=jzkit2)
developed by k-int here in the UK. The kit is very abstract and I
found it very difficult to work with.

However, I've been working on a project (not yet released, but
releasable) that wraps the Yaz Zoom client interface using JNI. This
provides a client library in Java that uses yaz under the covers.
This works very well for us and has been tested on Linux, OS X and
Windows.

My next step for that is to wrap the yaz server calls in JNI to allow
me to implement a Java-based Z Server - exactly what you want. I'd be
happy to share what I have so far and work with you on doing that
wrapping.

Rob Styles