One of the biggest bangs you can get out of indexing is to multi-
thread it pretty heavily.  Solr can accept lots of simultaneous
connections.

Folks worried about the HTTP communication are typically those that
are new to Solr and see that as a bottleneck without measuring.
Those that have done the measuring have found that HTTP is really a
huge factor on indexing performance.

When Lucene 2.3 is dropped into Solr (coming soon), indexing speed
will improve even more substantially thanks to core improvements at
the heart.

But, POSTing more than one document at a time also good advice.

        Erik