On Nov 29, 2007, at 9:21 AM, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:

> Why doesn't my httpRequest Javascript function return unless I add
> an alert? Grrr.

I have resolved my problem, but I'm not exactly sure how.

First of all, my httpRequest (XMLHttpRequest) code was just fine. I
made no significant changes to it. Instead, I separated my form input/
validation routine from the httpRequest functionality and the problem
disappeared. Don't ask my why. I don't know.  This makes for better
modular programing though.  javascript--

BTW, I appreciate the links to various Javascript libraries, but
since I am really only starting out in this regard I think I need to
get my hands dirtier before I lean on someone else's code.

Finally, for posterity's sake, I have included my resulting code in
an attachment to this message. I don't know whether or not the list
will accept attachments.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame