I'm willing to jump in here as a long time vendor to add to the
customer responsibility list some items that would make developers/
vendors a lot happier..

1.      Select software using a fair and reasonable process for both the
vendor and the organization (one could say a lot more here!)
2.      Make sure you know the needs of all users of the product
(especially the END-users - get them involved!  I promise, in most
cases, their needs are NOT understood).
3.      Acknowledge, accept and honor the deadlines that YOU bear in the
development timeline.   (The phrase "teflon-customers" comes to mind
here...)
4.      Understand that more functionality means more complexity in the
code.  This means:
        a.      You've got to accept responsibility for helping to test
software.  There can be 1000's of pathways through code.  We know you
want bug-free code, but the developer/vendor can't test                 them all by
themselves or you'd never actually get the code!
        b.      If you're paying a commercial vendor to support/maintain,
understand that costs should go up to compensate them for supporting
that increasing complexity.
5.      Try to standardize practices, **where possible**, between like
institutions.   Use development resources for great ideas, not just
to support local idiosyncrasies...
6.      Understand if you're trying to please everyone, it means lowest
common denominator.  If you're trying to lead and develop new ideas,
somebody is going to be upset.  It's not the
        developer/vendors responsibilities to decide which of these apply to
your institution or what to do about it when it happens.  Decide up
front, are you following, or are you leading?

Carl

Carl Grant
President
CARE Affiliates, Inc.