Carl Grant wrote:

>        a.      You've got to accept responsibility for helping to test
> software.  There can be 1000's of pathways through code.  We know you
> want bug-free code, but the developer/vendor can't
> test                 them all by
> themselves or you'd never actually get the code!

I don't know about this. There is a thing called "Quality Assurance".
Mass market software makers like Microsoft spend quite a bit of effort
on QA procedures to try and assure a basic level of _working_ before a
product is released. In our market, we very very seldomly get this.
There are techniques and methodologies that other software companies
have developed to try to assure quality without "never getting the
code".  What is it about our particular industry that leads to us not
being able to expect this?

On the other hand, yes, customers should be willing to be beta testers.
But the software we are often given to 'beta test' (or even as _release
quality software_) is sometimes at a level that wouldn't even be called
'alpha' in other industries. Other times final release software has
serious flaws in it that keep the software from doing what it's
advertised to do. Customers should not have to themselves perform as
unpaid testers for the vendor to achieve a basic level of quality.

I guess the question is in what is that 'basic' level of quality. I
guess vendors think they are currently delivering it, but customers
don't think they are currently getting it. (I guess the various
constraints that keep us from _no longer buying_ the software even if we
think we aren't getting that basic level of quality is the answer to why
we aren't able to expect that basic level of testing before software is
released...  Many of us are trying to work on those constraints.)

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer