On Nov 6, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Roy Tennant wrote:

> I have a presentation coming up and I'm considering doing what I'm
> calling a
> "Library Software Manifesto". Some of the following may not be
> completely
> understandable on the face of it, and I would be explaining the
> meaning
> during the presentation, but this is what I have so far and I'd be
> interested in other ideas this group has or comments on this. Thanks,
> Roy
>
> Consumer Rights

<things I like in software products />

> Consumer Responsibilities

<how to not be a jerk of a customer />

The thing that kind of bugs me here is the idea that these things are
somehow _rights._ They're certainly excellent guidelines (and I'd
take all these points into consideration when looking at software)...
but they're not 'rights.' 'Rights' implies a legal entitlement. When
you're buying software, you have a whole bunch of rights, which vary
depending on what jurisdiction you're in -- but I doubt the use of an
API is in that list in ANY jurisdiction.

Really, when you're buying software, your most common right is to
negotiate a contract and price with vendors. If either party to
uphold their end of the contract, the other party generally has a
right to sue.

If no vendor will provide a contract and price you can agree to, you
have a right to build software yourself... or find vendors who will
build the software, and to negotiate contracts with them.

So: these are indeed good ideas. They are most definitely not rights.

Cheers,
-Nate