Hi Joe:

Just to respond to your comment about Evergreen's commit policy - there are currently at least two non-in-house developers (does that make us outhouse developers?) with commit access to the Evergreen repository; one of them being me, the other one being Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (who is working on autotools-izing the code). Although models do vary, I think you would find that most open-source projects ask potential developers to submit patches to the mailing list for a time before those developers are granted commit access to the repository. The Evergreen process for contributing to the project is documented at http://open-ils.org/documentation/contributing.html

This process acts as quality control (has the person demonstrated that they understand the codebase well enough to be given direct commit access?) and mentoring (helping the person gain that understanding). I wouldn't expect Andrew to grant me commit access to the VUFind repository before I had sent a few patches, for example, even though I have a background in PHP development and some experience with Solr and MARC. It's a normal process - unfortunately, this "it's really a closed project" seems to be a common misunderstanding about Evergreen, perhaps because the idea of participating in an open source project is a relatively new idea for many libraries.

So - if you want to help build a better library system, I invite and strongly encourage interested library developers to join the Evergreen project and dig in. I think you'll find that we're very supportive, on the the mailing lists (http://open-ils.org/listserv.php) and in the IRC channel (#OpenILS-Evergreen on Freenode); we want your help, and will help you to help us!

Dan Scott
Systems Librarian,
Laurentian University