Some thoughts on at least some of your questions:

Field types: you'll probably want to index things like titles in two
fields, one tokenized (text) and one not (string), so that you can
retrieve and match the full title as well as searching for terms within
it. See the way the Solr sample app uses "*_exact" fields. You can use
the copyfield setting to avoid having to input the value twice.

The same considerations affect whether you want to use multi-valued
fields: if you're going to facet on that field, you want distinct
values, not a concatenated series; if you're only going to do free term
searching, the concatenation might not be a problem (though you risk
getting matches on phrase searches like "James Miller" against the
example you gave below).

If you use boost on the date field the way you suggest, remember you'll
have to reindex from scratch every year to adjust the boost as items
age. The sample solrconfig.xml contains an example of date-wrangling to
get the same effect based on distance from the current date, rather than
hard-coding the boost into the index.

The only point in interim commits is to make the new stuff available for
searching. If you're just loading stuff into an index that isn't serving
searches, there's no benefit to committing before everything is loaded;
it just slows things down.

Assuming your data structures are the same and you're not talking
millions of records, I'd be inclined to put everything in one index to
make cross-searching easier, assuming you want cross-searching. If you
don't, there's no reason not to have multiple indexes.

There is a way to pass Solr a path to a file that it can read from disk
rather than posting the file. I hunted a bit in the wiki and couldn't
find it, though; it may still be a patch you have to apply.

Peter