Hello,

I've taken JAVA programming classes and have had to withdraw because I haven't any JAVA programming or any programming experience - and for the most part, the professors geared the course to those who have had it.  I've decided that I'm not going to let it rest and am now reading a very simple book, geared for hard-headed non-programmer types like me.  The title of the book is JAVA Programming For The Absolute Beginner by Joseph Russell.  Mr. Russell takes me by the hand and leads me down the path of programming.  Programming doesn't come easily to me, this books simplifies things so that I can understand them.

I know Michael, that you say you are experienced - JAVA will come easier to you - I have both books mentioned below and they did help a little, the Head First book especially.  You might also consider JAVA How to Program by Deitel.  My comments above are for those who are not programmers but want to learn JAVA and need a place to start.

Always,
Nic Cecchino

Mr. Nicola J. Cecchino, MLS
Assistant Librarian for Reference and Technology
George T. Harrell Library, H127
Penn State College of Medicine
Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
500 University Drive, PO Box 850
Hershey, PA 17033-0850
Email:  [log in to unmask]
AOL/AIM: CraZLib
Phone:  717-531-8630

http://del.icio.us/ncecchino/
FACEBOOK:  http://psu.facebook.com/srch.php?nm=nic+cecchino
HARRELL WEB:  http://www.hmc.psu.edu/library/

>>> Peter Kiraly <[log in to unmask]> 11/23/2007 4:04 AM >>>
Hi!

If you are a visual type, I suggest O'Reilly's
Head First series. If you are looking for a good
foundation, Ivor Horton's Beginning Java 2,
JDK 5 Edition (Wiley, 2005) (The current Java is
the JDK 6, so it isn't the freshest, but it's
a good book). There are some good books on Java
for different learning strategies. This is for
newcommer: Java for Artists. The Art Philosophy
and Science of Object Oriented Programming (Pulp Free
Press, 2006), this one is for preparation for exams:
SCJP, SCJD - Complete Java 2 Certification -
Study Guide, 5Ed (Sybex, 2005) - but I thing its
a good one for learners.

About Eclipse i didn't read book, just the manual
of the Eclipse. But if you prefer books:
- Professional Eclipse 3 for Java Developers (Wrox, 2005)
- Eclipse Step by Step (MC Press, 2003)
There is a book about using PHP in Eclipse
PHPEclipse: A User Guide (Packt Publishing, 2006).

About Lucene there is only one book:
Lucene In Action (Manning, 2005). As i remember in a
conference presentation Erik Hatcher said that the next
edition will cover Solr as well.
(The sad thing, that the Lucene API changed a lot since
2005, so the most examples in that book don't work with
Lucene 2.2., so you should check the refresh API if
something don't work.)

Java tool: sorry I remembered not the correct situation.
There is a java tool, but it use the HTTP methods to
manage index. I remembere that it was quicker that
using PHP, but you should check. There's a short tutorial:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html