For Immediate Release:  November 29, 2007
Contact: Barrie Howard, [log in to unmask], 202-939-4769

UCLA Joins the Digital Library Federation

Washington, D.C.—The Digital Library Federation (DLF) announced today that the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) has joined DLF as a strategic member. The UCLA Library system is ranked among the top 10 research libraries in the North America, whose principal components are the Charles E. Young Research Library, the College Library, and seven subject libraries.

“We are extremely pleased to be a part of DLF,” said UCLA Library University Librarian Gary E. Strong. “We look forward to fully participating in its programs and innovation strategies as these fit into the Library’s strategic plan and goals very well.”

DLF Executive Director Peter Brantley remarked, “Within the last five years, UCLA has assembled an impressively strong digital library team that is an exemplar in the strength of its engagement with both on-campus and national academic initiatives. We are delighted to have UCLA join our membership because the extension of their involvement into the wider world is emblematic of how libraries must structure themselves to thrive in the contemporary age.”

The Digital Library Federation, founded in 1995, is a nonprofit organization of 42 academic libraries and related organizations that are pioneering the use of electronic-information technologies to extend their collections and services. DLF provides leadership for libraries by identifying standards and best practices for digital collections and network access, coordinating research and development in libraries’ use of technology, and fostering projects and services that libraries need but cannot develop individually.