It occurs to me that I didn't specify much about my environment. I'm
using PHP + MySQL to do my searching, and hoping for AJAX to make it a
bit more dynamic. I don't have and am not at all familiar with Ruby on
Rails, so I'm mostly hoping for a lightweight JavaScript approach. I did
download the Scriptaculous framework/library which I thought might do
the trick, but I've not figured out a way to make that work. (It seems
to be more into regular auto-completion rather than narrowing the
results display.

Ken