> Back on July 17, 2007 Jonathan Rochkind started a thread on citation
> parsing:
>
> "Does anyone have any decent open source code to parse a citation? I'm
> thinking about a completely narrative citation like someone might
> cut-and-paste from a bibliography or web page..."
>
> We hope to develop such a service at Brown thanks to funding for a
> one-year programming position from the Mellon Foundation.

Interesting news!

We are working on exactly the same thing at mpow.  I have managed to use
Biblio-Citation-Parser but as others have noted, its success is limited.
The ideal is to have a web-based form that takes the metadata pasted into it
and uses a variety of methods to enhance it (e.g. pass it through the DOI
site at http://www.crossref.org/SimpleTextQuery/ maybe?) before sending it
through the OpenURL resolver (in our case, SFX) to generate a valid link.

In our case it would be beneficial for us to enable output in a variety of
user chosen ways, e.g. PDF, txt, Excel.  And we would also ideally want to
"pre check" the links that are generated to ensure that they really do work
or will resolve.   We need to know first, do we have access to it online?
and if so, does the sfx link work as it should.  If the answer is no, then
we ideally want to take our users directly to our document delivery service.

Steve