Andrew,

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in ColdFusion 7,
Adobe introduced Event Gateways that allow you to build custom
chatbots (including XMPP for Jabber). The code is opensource, but this
relies on the CF 7 engine (which isn't open). Here are a series of
articles on this:

http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=e&entry=1737
http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=e&entry=1738
http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=e&entry=1740

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/imgateway.html

I haven't personally worked with these, but I suspect the PHP
implementations of XMPP libraries
(http://www.jabber.org/software/libraries.shtml) make it relatively
simple to set up server event gateways to handle these. I think the
real stumbling block is developing the AI to respond to user requests
(but if it's a simple search, it shouldn't be much more than
responding to the event).

HTH,
Wayne