Hi Michael,

Taxonomic dichotomous (or binary) keys
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichotomous_key) and synoptic keys
(http://pyrenomycetes.free.fr/hypoxylon/keydir/synoptickey.htm) have a
number of implementations on the web and there is a significant body
of research and software out there. I did some graduate work in this
area (in my previous incarnation I was a biologist, ecologist/taxonomist).

Examples:
- http://www.alicesoftware.com/Products.htm
- DELTA (DEscription Language for TAxonomy) http://www.delta-intkey.com/
- http://ctap.inhs.uiuc.edu/dmitriev/index.asp

That said, I think creating a generic framework would be a good idea.

I might be interested, but I am a Java guy.  :-(

Glen

--
Glen Newton | [log in to unmask]
Researcher, Information Science, CISTI Research