First off, congrats on the new position...sounds like it will be
challenging. I know that provenance and workflow modeling of scientific
datasets is a hot topic of research right now in certain circles. I dug
out this link sent to a preservation list I am on concerning a toolkit
that just received NSF funding:

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/6951.html

Good luck,

~Matt