On Jan 28, 2008, at 5:26 PM, John Little wrote:

> The Duke University Libraries are preparing a proposal for the Mellon
> Foundation to convene the academic library community to design an open
> source Integrated Library System (ILS)....

Personally, I think this is a good idea. Yes, there are existent
ILSs, but such things are not the be-all and end-all of ILSs. The
software implementation, whether it be operating systems, text
editors, or integrated library systems is an iterative process. It
repeats. Moreover, there are many ways to get there from here; one
size does not fit all. The process outlined will enable a thousand
flowers to bloom, or call it friendly competition.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame