Hrm.  I just replicated this problem.  Same issue, you can see
conversation, but when you try to say anything, you get this error
message.

I'm not sure who manages linuxinlibraries.com, but it's not directly
related to code4lib.  Perhaps it's time for us to run an IRC cgi
client on a code4lib server?

-Ross.