I am contacting you on behalf of the NDLTD: Networked Digital Library
of Theses and Dissertations (http://www.ndltd.org/) and the MetaArchive
Cooperative (http://www.metaarchive.org/) for help in gauging the
digital library community's interest in establishing a preservation
network specifically for electronic theses and dissertations. Because
many universities are now welcoming or requiring ETDs, academic
institutions must ensure that the digital files will be as available
and enduring as their bound print volumes have been. To this end, we
must begin to develop consistent, standardized, and distributed
preservation systems for these institutional resources.

We have a 14-question (multiple choice and brief answer) survey
designed to help us determine how widespread the interest may be in
participating in an ETD-specific preservation network, and what level
of participation institutions may wish to have in such a network.

Please participate in this 10-minute Digital Preservation of ETDs
Survey at http://lumiere.lib.vt.edu/surveys/. You may remain anonymous
or provide your contact information. The responses are compiled as each
survey is completed and you may view the results at the same URL.

Thank you for helping address long-term digital preservation of ETDs.

On behalf of the NDLTD and the MetaArchive Cooperative

Gail McMillan (Director, Digital Library and Archives, Virginia Tech)
Martin Halbert (Director of Digital Programs and Systems, Emory University)