If you're doing this in Java, use the java.util.concurrent package and
its Executor and Future framework, instead of using Thread.start/join,
synchronized etc. directly.

Get the book "Concurrent Programming in Java: Design Principles and
Patterns"  (ISBN 0-201-31009-0) written by the master himself (Doug
Lea; see http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/cpj/ )

 - Godmar