The short answer is you want a book or article on 'concurrent
programming'. The main programming abstraction for doing this is
generally 'threads'.  Which are supported in different ways in different
environments (languages and OSs).  Another way this is sometimes done
especially in the UNIX environment is with "fork and exec" of processes,
at the OS level, rather than 'threads'.  Concurrent programming brings
it's own challenges and conventional design patterns/abstractions to
solve them; I'd definitely reccommend looking for some reading on this
topic, but don't have anything in particular to reccommend, I'm afraid.

And indeed, I need to address exactly the problems you mentioned in both
my Umlaut application and in federated search. The solution is indeed
concurrent programming of some kind.  In Umlaut, it's a pain since Rails
isn't particularly happy about concurrent programming.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer