Actually, the idea of using AJAX to create a way to add and remove
limits diagonally is exactly what U Virginia's blacklight interface
does, although with a slightly different interface:

    http://blacklight.betech.virginia.edu/

It's also similar to the way that Engineering Village allows for
control of searches within its bibliographic databases.

- David