First of all, I cannot speak for OCLC on this, but I can contribute an
observation:

Anyone who has had dealings with both organizations would understand
that in the completely hypothetical circumstance that both
organizations wanted to do something like this on day one, it would
still take an rather long time to actually do the deed.

Peace and love, everybody!

Eric

On Feb 6, 2008, at 10:37 PM, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> K.G. Schneider wrote:
>
>> For the record, I've clarified this with OCLC itself. It's
>> exactly as Terry Weese says.
>
> If that is so, why don't OCLC themselves give their database away
> to the Open Library?
>

> --
>  Lars Aronsson ([log in to unmask])
>  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se

Eric Hellman, Director                                          OCLC New Jersey
[log in to unmask]                                                       2 Broad St., Suite 208
tel 1-973-509-7800       fax 1-734-468-6216             Bloomfield, NJ 07003
http://openly.oclc.org/